After the establishment of the University of Tehran in 1934, the Faculty of Engineering, as one of the first six faculties of the University was founded through the efforts made by the late Prof. Mahmoud Hesabi. It began its activities by admitting 40 students in the fields of Civil, Electromechanical and Mining Engineering in the same year.
The College of Engineering currently has 6 Schools, 3 independent departments, as well as 2 Schools in the Caspian Shore (North of Iran) with over 7000 students in total, out of which 630 are PhD students, 2140 are MSc students, and 4250 are BSc students. The College has 273 full-time faculty members, with 52 Professors, 98 Associate Professors, and 98 Assistant Professors and 25 Instructors. At present, the College of Engineering has 55 different BSc, MSc, and PhD programs, within the six Schools of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgy and Materials Engineering, Mining Engineering, Civil Engineering and Chemical Engineering. Additionally, it holds three Departments of Basic Sciences Engineering, Surveying and Geomatics Engineering, and Industrial Engineering and 10 Research Institutes in three separate campuses.
The Faculty, as the largest and best higher education centre in engineering nationwide, continues teaching and training young engineers. Schools and Departments of the College annually attract the best students at all levels. As an example, in 2009, the first three winners of the Chemistry National Olympics were from this College, or 9 out of 20 national and international chemistry awards in the country were won by the students of this College.